Are you Irish? Odds are you have at least a little green in your veins. If you’re like us you’ll love a good Shepard’s Pie. Jones Properties is pleased to present our Seanmháthair’s (aka Grandma’s) Drunken Shepard's Pie recipe. What makes this recipe so good is the Guinness® Beer, it adds a deep savory flavor that you just can’t beat.
- Guinness Beer – 1 bottle
- Beef – 1.5 lbs boneless chuck roast (unless you like bones)
- Flour – 3 tsp
- Olive Oil
- Egg – 1, beaten
- Cheddar Cheese – 1 block of Mull of Kintyre, grated (make sure to try some, it is to die for)
- Onions – Get 1 big one and then peel and dice it
- Carrots – 1 large one should be fine
- Celery – 4 sticks, diced
- Baby Portabellas – half or rough chop
- Rosemary – 2 tsp
- Thyme – 1 tsp
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Beef Bullion – 1 cube
- Chopped Tomatoes – 2 cans
- Instant Mashed Potatoes
- Pie Crusts – You’ll need 2
- Cube the chuck roast (1” cubes), then season them with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon in a frying pan until shimmering
- Add cubed roast, try to sear each side of the cubes
- Coat your crockpot in cooking spray
- Whip out the old crock pot, and add meat, celery, carrots, mushrooms, herbs, bullion cubes, diced tomatoes and Guinness® beer
- Set your crockpot to cook on low for 4-6 hours (you will need to test the meat to see when it has cooked through)
- Follow the instructions on the instant mashed potatoes, set them aside
- Once the beef is cooked all the way through, remove it from heat and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 375°
- Grease a large pie dish, put a pie crust in the bottom so that it hangs over the edge. If you want to make personal pan pies, use small cast iron skillets. Cut your pie crusts into halves or quarters depending on how small the skillets are.
- Spoon in the beefy, beer stew
- Add a layer of mashed potatoes
- Add a layer of cheese
- Bake in the oven at 375° for 45 minutes or until pie crust has browned
This is an easy to make meal right in your Jones Properties apartment or house!